Monday, May 25, 2009

Mitta Newsletter 2009

Posted by Picasa
I have been privileged to be part of the Cancer Counselling Service by Mitta for Life Cancer Centre. Many of those I met during my sessions were in a state of shock and disbelief with depression and confusion on hearing of their diagnoses of having cancer. I discovered the benefits of talking to them were two fold:
Talking can give them support.
How? There is a basic human comfort in communicating; deep feelings and fears and concerns are put into perspective. That probably is the basis of the old proverb “A sorrow shared is a sorrow halved.”
Talking about something teaches you how you feel about it.
Talking about a fear or worry often stops it growing larger in our minds.
Conversation about something important or personal produces a bond between participants which is valuable in itself.
Talking helps them feel in control of their situation Very often when the diagnosis is cancer, it feels as if we have no control over the disease and its treatment. Now two of the things that decrease these feelings are information and being able to talk things over with other people and let them know what you think. The more information you have about your situation and the better you become at talking about, the more you feel involved in your own care and the more you feel in control. Knowledge of their illness and its treatment gives some form of power.
These are based on my observation of patients during my counselling sessions with them. I wish you all well.
(The above article is an excerpt taken from a talk by Datin Dr Chandra Kanalingam)

Breast Cancer Awareness Campaigns
In Malaysia, statistics show that 1 out of every 20 women are at risk of getting breast cancer.”
With breast cancer on the rise, we at Mitta are very concerned with the lack of information women have on breast care, pertinent health checks and a fundamental knowledge on the risk factors that cause cancer.
While many women may profess to know what breast cancer is all about, they neglect going for regular clinical examination and do not perform monthly breast examinations on themselves.
Last year, Mitta carried out two major Breast Cancer Awareness Campaigns, the first being held on Vesak Day 2008. More 100 women registered for the free breast examination conducted at the onsite clinic in the temple grounds.
The second campaign was held in the month of September, at Green Lane Convent Primary School’s Food and Fun Fair. About 20 ladies had their breasts examined.
Mitta also launched a Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign during this year’s Vesak celebrations at the Dhammapida Centre in Ipoh on 9th May 2009. A total of 39 women registered for the breast examination session. They were also taught the techniques of Self-Breast Examination by the Breast Examiners present.
In Malaysia, statistics show that 1 out of every 20 women are at risk of getting breast cancer.”
At Mitta Cancer Centre, we advocate early detection and prevention of the disease through outreach programmes and exhibitions. Free breast examination is available on the 1st and 2nd Saturday of every month at the Centre from 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm. Come and speak to our Counsellors for more information.


The Healing Touch of Reiki Ng Soo Han
I was initiated with Reiki since December 2007. During this period, my irritable bowel syndrome and arthritis have improved tremendously. Each time I practice Reiki, I feel a warm tingling sensation in my hands. When I practice Reiki with other practitioners, I feel that my hands seem to transmit heat. There are other sensations throughout my body too. Sometimes I feel cold, other times I feel so warm that I would sweat. There are also times when I feel pain in my shoulders and numbness in my legs, but these go off after 5 to 10 minutes.
One special thought I wish to share here is that knowing whenever I lay my hands on others when I practice Reiki, I could feel love and care flowing to and fro from all the participants. It almost seems like an ability to communicate innately. Finally, I will keep on learning about Reiki so that I can continue to help others.

A Word Of Thanks From Mitta Friends
When I enter the premise of the Mitta Centre, a sudden feeling of peace and calm seems to dawn upon me. I meet with the members of the Centre who are full of care and concern for everyone who needs their invaluable services. Though for the latter, it is a feast of the Reiki energy, but it ends up in everyone having a good feast of the cookies and niceties brought by the members.
As I lay in the room to receive the Reiki energy, the practitioners dutifully and conscientiously do all that they can for me. The 3 or 4 volunteers put in their best to make us better from whatever health problems that affect us. All through the session, I could feel the soothing and comforting effect of Reiki. When the session ends, I seem to feel much lighter; as if the Reiki practitioners have lifted off some of the burden from my body.
I feel touched and grateful for what they have done for the many of us who visit the Centre. My hat off to them, the doctors who give free consultation, the administrative staff of the Centre, the Committee Members and everyone who have helped to make the Centre a place of solace for many who need it. All of you have done a noble and wonderful job indeed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Keep up your good work and may all of you be blessed with good health and happiness always.
~ Johny Chee ~


One year ago, I recall my first visit to the Mitta Centre. It was highly recommended by close friends and relatives that I explore the place. I decided to visit as soon as I was mobile enough as everyone who spoke to me about it had only positive experiences and stories to share. My wife, Sue, accompanied me on a Saturday afternoon to be warmly greeted by the volunteers of the Centre. I got registered and was made to feel very welcome and at home….Like what they say, a smile goes A LONG WAY.
My twice a week sessions was something I always eagerly look forward to. The Reiki self healing made me feel better both mentally and physically. Hence I registered for classes under Mrs. Jorva Hamilton and could administer the healing powers onto myself. It was a surreal feeling to be God’s instrument as I heal myself in my own way. Apart from Reiki, I am excited to meet other friends, have a chat, share experiences and stories and the environment at Mitta makes me feel well both mentally and physically.
Today, I boast that I am a living testimony of the harmonious experience I received from Mitta Centre. Many Friends would concur with me and is quite apparent from the recent expansion and refurbishment of the centre; that we need a bigger space to share the comfort for the many who seek. All the positive experience is made possible through the efforts of the volunteers, many of whom have become very close friends to my family and I.


I pray that God continues to shower His bountiful blessings on all the friends, volunteers, doctors as they continue their dedication and commitment to sacrificing their time and effort for the goodness of mankind, God bless you all.
May I close off my thoughts by sharing a couple of quotes in which I feel very strongly about……
To the Volunteers “Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great” - Mark Twain
To the Friends “Never, never, never…NEVER give up”- Winston Churchill
~ Dominic Lee Peng Chong ~


No comments: